History of the LIbrary

Rock Creek Library exterior in early autumn

When the town was young it was determined that a local library was absolutely essential to Rock Creek's cultural environment. The Travelers' Club dedicated themselves to its establishment and in 1929, the first library was opened in a rented backroom of McCullough's Barber Shop. Beginning inventory consisted of 500 books. Early library boosters included Congregational pastors Rev. Rayman Fritz and Rev. Wayne Braden, Methodist minister Rev. H.S. Smith and Glenn Keeney, publisher of The Rock Creek Independent. The library continued under Travelers' Club management until formation of the Rock Creek Library Association in 1936. Recognized by the state in 1937, the library received its first county operating funds in 1939. Librarians were then Mrs. Neil Hodge and Mrs. Althea Keeney.

The wooden structure formerly housing our jail, town hall and council, accommodated the library from 1948 until 1965. That year the Frederick A. Swan Memorial Building on High Street was dedicated. Frederick Swan (Mary Barker's cousin), our generous library benefactor, was born here May 15, 1859, the son of James and Harriet Barker Swan. Educated in Camden, Maine, Swan worked in Boston, becoming an early developer of the American Telephone and Telegraph. He is credited with several inventions and innovations in communication systems. Swan's bequest of 47 shares of AT&T stock, wisely invested, provided our beautiful library facility complete 19 years after his death in 1946.

In 1992, the library nearly doubled in size when the 1,440 sq. ft. addition was completed. It has a meeting room and family restroom.

--excerpt from The Rock Creek Story  c. 1996 Rock Creek Area Chamber of Commerce